Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Wk 9 #22 Downloadable Media

I took a look around Overdrive and the other downloadable media sites, and found them to be a good thing. As so much of our society uses technology to amuse themselves, it stands to reason that the ability to download books and even videos would be an added plus. With the advent of MP3 players, now one can listen to books or music on something smaller then a CD player, without all the equipment, or watch videos on their computer, not having had to pirate them or rent them.

I looked at Overdrive, but opted not to download it at this time. Searching through the content, I thought the Series Starters section was great, the question of "what's first in the series?" is a constant question here at the library. I was fascinated by the extreme obscurity of many of the videos, not being sure if they were considered "special" or could't get hold of items that were more recent or better known. All the classical music was nice, and I noted a new Gregory Maguire Book that I hadn't seen before. Lots of kids stuff, be able to sit them in front of the computer and listen to a book. All in all, I think the availabity of this type of technology is a good addition to the library setting and to the web itself.

No comments: