Sunday, June 22, 2008

#38 Console games

I went to the retro arcade game website and am ashamed to say that I had to ask a co-worker how to play Pacman. I did mess with it and Baby Pacman, and it was okay, just rather confusing. My family were all into console games, still are. In fact my grandson plays Sonic the Hedgehog on his mothers' old Nintendo system and loves it. My kids have expensive systems that play games, dvds, music, and are a constant source of entertainment and relaxation in their daily round of activities. Whether videogames have added skills or knowledge to their lives, I have no idea.

I really can't make any kind of educated statement about what type of videogames might be good for the library, having never played them. Since I don't play them, I can not avow any skills learned, however, I may have saved what is left of my eye sight, and kept from getting "videogame thumb." Videogames have their place, and certainly, they are amazingly sophisticated compared to the original "Pong" game.
I think they can be a draw to get teens into the libraries, but they are no substitute for actual information or knowledge. Have I become a fan of gaming? No, not really. There are so many other things to do.

No comments: