Tuesday, February 17, 2009

#52 What to read? Decisions, decisions...

To look for read alikes, I used an older book, Katherine, by Anya Seton, a favorite of mine. On Novelist Plus, the database recommended authors, Elizabeth Chadwick, Daphne Dumaurier, Diana Gabaldone and Cecilia Holland. All enjoyable authors that I have read before. My search was not terribly difficult, once I figured out how it worked.

My experience with Fiction_L was a bit different. I had to chose from a genre, and after several tries I finally hit the jackpot with Historical European Fiction, which recommended the authors Seton, Cecilia Holland, Sharon Kay Penman and Jean Plaidy, and Ellis Peters "Brother Cadfael" series. Once again, authors I had read before.

On, What do I read Next?, the spectrum was a bit more broad. Here Be Dragons, by Sharon Kay Penman, which is an excellent book. The Shell Seekers by Rosamund Pilcher, Robert Gellis, and The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald. I found this website to be much more of a gamble, I opted not to sign up for it, and sometimes I got some rather odd recomendations.

I found animal books for the 4th grade girl on NovelistPlus, one, Animal Groups: how animals live together by Etta Kaner, and The Kitten That won First Place & other animal stories by Martin Greenburg. I then used What Do I Read Next? to find Mayor of Central Park by AVI and Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo. The website had no non-fiction for kids, but it was easy to find titles because they sort by age and grade. For the 13 year old boy, I also used NovelistPlus and What Do I Read Next, Finding Restless: a Ghost Story by Rick Wallace, Ghost Host by Marilyn Singer and a manga series called Ghost Hunt. In non-fiction I found Ghosts & Haunted Places by Rosemary Guilley and Ghosts and Spirits by Rebecca Stefoff. These titles are on Novelist. On What Do I Read Next?, there were Genres for Read if you Dare and Haunting Stories for Fall Nights. I chose More Horowitz Horrow by Anthony Horowitz and Daemon Hall by Andrew Nance.

On NovelistPlus, readalikes for Dean Koontz that were mentioned were Greg Bear, John Saul, and Dan Simmons. On What Do I Read Next?, Stephen King, James Patterson and Phillip Margolin were all recommended. According to Novelist, Koontz doesn't stick to a particular genre, which may be why the authors recommended were so different.

I had some real trouble using the What's Next? series site, my searching criteria didnt seem to be what the website wanted to hear. Operator error no doubt. However, I did find Tamora Pierce and her series, and the titles are,Song of the Lions, In the Hand of the Goddess, Woman Who Rides Like a Man and Lioness Rampant.

No comments: