Thursday, October 25, 2007

Wk 7 #17 Technology

As we are doing these discovery exercises to learn more about technology and its use in the work-a-day world, I would like to comment on some of the problems I have been having with it. For one thing, Horizon was down today, proving that connections and machines don't always work well, and can leave our jobs in the lurch as far as getting anything done. I could not get into my blog yesterday, Blogger insisted that I didn't exist. My home computer, hooked up with Comcast, tells me most of the time when I try to get onto the internet that the server isn't available. Yet when I push the go button, google comes up. I don't understand, my settings are all correct, so I am assuming its a problem with Comcast. I placed my blog on the iHCPL wiki, and now my mailbox is full of notifications that someone has altered it. I find no use whatsoever for this. There is not a day that goes by that at some point I have a messed up machine, and I have to "turn it off and turn it back on." Now my cell phone is not receiving messages. Technology has brought alot into our lives, making it simpler, more information, and being more involved with the rest of the world. But I also think it has added a lot of frustration, confusion, hair pulling, frown lines, and general tension when your machine's technology, regardless of what it is, is not co-operating with you. Probably should add some stress relief along with all this technical know how.

No comments: